Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Utilizing the USDA Web Soil Survey Application

This was my first experience utilizing the United States Department of Agriculture's Web Soil Survey Application.  I originally selected the entirety of Douglas County Nebraska for my Area of Interest, but due to the area being over 100,000 acres the mapping capabilities were not functional. Due to that, I chose Glacier Creek Preserve as my Area of Interest.  Glacier Creek Preserve is a restored tallgrass prairie owned and operated by the University of Nebraska - Omaha for conservation and research purposes.  The preserve was originally about 160 acres, but the University has recently acquired an additional 160 acres with the ultimate goal to create a 670 acre protected area when funding becomes available.  I chose the Glacier Creek Preserve due to it's close proximity to my house and the fact that it is a restored protected area with implications to local biodiversity. 

My first impression of the Web Soil Survey is that the features are predominantly focused on soil characteristics related to agricultural uses - which makes sense due to the fact that this a product of the Department of Agriculture.  The different soils within the Area of Interest are delineated and characteristics and percentages of the various soils are detailed. Characteristics like how well drained the soils are, typical soil profiles, suitability for various land use (development, recreation, agriculture, etc.) are all provided.  Additionally, the Soil Properties and Qualities tab can provide maps and information on the soil health, erosion factors, and the probability of flooding. 

Under the Intro to Soils tab in the Soil Data Explorer, I was able to locate some information regarding proper tree selection, attracting butterflies, appropriate nutrient application and use, and other topics related to conservation.  Additionally, the Ecological Site Assessment tab provides information on the plant communities found in the various soils within the Area of Interest.  From what I am learning about tallgrass prairies, the plant species listed on the Web Soil Survey for my selected Area of Interest (Big Blue Stem, Indiangrass, Switchgrass, milkweed, etc.) are accurate. 

The more I explore the features of the Web Soil Survey the more useful and functional information I encounter.  Multiple disciplines like engineering, farming, conservation, and forestry could benefit from the information provided in this application.

Below is a screenshot taken from my Area of Interest.  To explore the Web Soil Survey yourself within my specified Are of Interest follow this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment